22nd August 2016
Native advertising is a form of paid media that takes the shape and function of the user experience in which it is placed. You will usually see native advertising on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Stumble Upon in the form of sponsored tweets, posts and so on:
You will also see it on other major publications (i.e. Sky News) at the side or bottom of an article. It will almost always be labelled as a sponsored/promoted link/article. This service is offered by the likes Taboola and Outbrain:
Native advertising is a brilliant tactic for amplifying pieces of content to a larger audience. In turn, you gain more impressions, referral traffic, social media interactions, mentions and links.
However, the specific native advertising tactic that this article will concentrate on is how to utilise Twitter custom audience targeting to your advantage.
Why use this over traditional filters within Twitter’s advertising section?
It can be a great tactic but it hugely depends on the following points:
Here’s the full, run-through guide with all the corresponding steps to putting the tactic into action. The steps below were geared to a campaign that targeted mothers and design-minded individuals. So for this run through I’ve used “mother” search terms as an example:
Important note before starting – You will need to use a minimum of 500 contacts in order to upload to the Twitter custom audience section. We wouldn’t recommend using email addresses or phone numbers as Twitter needs to match these up with Twitter handles and the success rate for this is low. Therefore use Twitter handles. The issue with this is that the Twitter accounts will need to be active in the last 30 days. So it is actually recommended to upload a minimum of 5000 contacts to counteract the inevitable inactive accounts in your lists.
1. Firstly compile a contact list from a PR database (i.e. Cision/Vuelio). Keep this broad, as volume is key.
a. Ensure your term(s) fits both the campaign and influencers/journalists that you’re looking for (here we used “Motherhood”).
2. Export this as a CSV. The example above doesn’t have enough contacts in terms of scaling a successful campaign so we’ll have to use another tool to find more influencers/ journalists. We’ll come onto this shortly.
a. The maximum you can export from Cision/Vuelio is 5000.
3. Once exported, remove all fields except the Twitter URL. This is all we need:
4. Here we need to extract the Twitter handle from the Twitter URL. Simply press “Control + H” and inset the http://twitter.com/ in the “Find What” section and click “Replace All”. Repeat this for “Https”:
5. Ensure there aren’t any discrepancies i.e. hashtags, blanks and etc. These can invalidate the upload of your custom audience list and slow the process.
6. You should be left with a list like this:
7. We want at least a few thousand contacts, so we need to find more contacts elsewhere. Buzzsumo is an excellent tool for this. Buzzsumo is a content marketing tool where you can view relevant content in certain niches and trending content, as well as influencers and journalists in certain niches. Other tools like Follerwonk would suffice, but we’d recommend Buzzsumo.
a. In Buzzsumo, search for a relevant term in the influencer tab and export as a CSV. Here we search for multiple mother related terms:
8. Again, delete everything expect the Twitter handle:
9. Now simply combine both the Twitter handles from Cision and Buzzsumo remove the duplicates and save as a CSV.
10. Now in Twitter Ads, create a new campaign and go through all the relevant steps:
11. Under the “Select your audience section”, click on the tailored audience section then click on “create a list audience”
12. On the Create new list audience section, select “create new audience” and it is here where you’ll be able to upload your CSV. It says it can take up to 3 hours but in reality it can take as much as a day if your list is big enough, or if there are any discrepancies in your list. Ensure that you allow enough time for the upload:
13. You will receive an email once it has been uploaded into Audience Manager. Click on the link in the email, attach the list and start the campaign.
Social media marketing has become a wonderful way to generate leads for your small businesses to connect directly with their audience and strengthen your brand’s presence. In this blog post, we’ll explore 5 different social media strategies that will increase engagement with your content shared online. 1. Choose the Right Platforms Around Your Customer and … Read more
Trying to find the best way of visualising data doesn’t have to be difficult – with infographics making up the majority of content marketing, their popularity is due to their simplicity and how easily they can be produced. However, some clients may feel that the handy tool is not the best choice for their campaign’s goals, meaning … Read more
This debate has gone on since the dawn of the Internet, longer than the feud between Batman and The Joker, longer than the debate of whether Ross and Rachel were on a break or not? This is the debate of quality versus quantity. Like most battles, few remember where they begin, but here is where … Read more